Buying a Home in the City of Rice Lake?  

Does the Property Have City Water/Sewer?

The Buyer assumes liability for any unpaid charges at closing, if the city is not notified of the purchase. Complete a Water/Sewer Service application and contact the Utility Clerk to schedule a meter reading on the day of closing if the Seller has not already scheduled it.  

The application and contact information is on our Utilities page. 

Familiarize yourself with our City Ordinances.

Recycling is available at our Recycle Center.

License your dog.

Register to vote

Stay informed with our quarterly Newsletter.


Selling a Home in the City of Rice Lake?

Have City Sewer?

You must schedule and complete an application for a sewer lateral inspection prior to closing on your home.  This is in accordance with Section 5.3a iii of City Ordinance 25. 

If you had an inspection within the last two years and received a Certificate of Compliance you may not need an inspection.  Contact the Utilities Clerk to set up an inspection or for more information. 

Go to the Utilities page for contact information, Sewer Lateral Inspection Packet and Utility Ordinances.

Cancelling Your Utilities

  • Once you've sold your home and are ready to move out, be sure to cancel your utilities (gas, telephone, electricity, garbage, etc.) by contacting each company that provides service to you.
  • To stop your water and/or sewer service call the Utility Clerk to schedule a final water meter reading and forward your final bill to your new address.

Contact the St. Louis County Assessor

  • If you sell your homesteaded property or change your primary residence, State law requires you to notify the County Assessor within 30 days.

Lead-Based Paint Disclosure

  • The seller of the property is required by federal law to provide the buyer with a disclosure of information on lead-based paint hazards.